Hi, I’m Shungu. There are so many questions I’ve asked as a Zimbabwean, regarding indigenous culture, customs, languages, and traditions. Sometimes I’ve struggled to find the answers.
So after I figured writing would help me explore and find some answers, I created ZimbOriginal. Everything I imagined it should be is summed up in the dictionary-type meaning below, which I coined.
noun: ZimbOriginal, plural noun: ZimbOriginals
- A knowledge platform created to make a lasting and memorable difference for Zimbabwean heritage, people and communities.
“ZimbOriginal explores and aggregates information on Zimbabwean culture, customs, and traditions, thus making it easy to share and access from anywhere in the world”
synonyms: embracement of Zimbabwean culture, a celebration of Zimbabwean heritage
- The earliest form of Zimbabwean life influencing present-day practices.
- Customs or tradition on which practices of Zimbabwean people are based.
“some modern-day practices are adaptations of the ZimbOriginals”
- An authentic Zimbabwean
“the site hopes to nurture true ZimbOriginals”
synonyms: genuine Zimbabwean, sincere Zimbabwe
- Present or existing in Zimbabwe from the beginning; first or earliest.
“the ZimbOriginal practices or methods”
synonyms: indigenous to Zimbabwe, native to Zimbabwe
antonyms: exotic to Zimbabwe
- Created personally by Zimbabweans; not a copy.
“ZimbOriginal art and crafts”
synonyms: authentically Zimbabwean, genuinely Zimbabwean
antonyms: copied from foreign lands
Now I imagine if you fit into any of the descriptions below, you would somehow relate to what I’m on about.
- A young Zimbabwean without knowledge on, and struggling to understand and grasp issues and concepts relating to our indigenous culture and languages.
- A Zimbabwean parent wondering how best to assist a child who needs help with knowledge on indigenous culture, languages, and concepts.
- An educator in Zimbabwe who needs to conduct research for Shona, Heritage, and culture related assignments, and also needs to put together meaningful, interesting and interactive lesson plans.
- A member of the Zimbabwean diaspora who cherishes their Zimbabwean heritage and desires to preserve it in an unadulterated form so that it can be passed on to future generations.
- A foreigner or culture tourist to Zimbabwe, keen on engaging with the culture – lifestyle, history, art, architecture, religion, and whatever else that has helped shape the way of life of Zimbabwean people.
- Or just you interested, and curious about languages, culture, customs and traditions that are indigenous to Zimbabwe.
After searching online, there is very little information, and offline the information is scattered and most of it not tailored for children. If any of the descriptions above resonates with you, then you have certainly found the right place!
ZimbOriginal seeks to provides an online platform aggregating information on the indigenous culture, customs, traditions, and languages of Zimbabwe, thus making it easy to access and share from anywhere in the world.
I can help you discover, and enrich your knowledge. So if you have anything interesting to share or any questions, and wondering if I can help, don’t hesitate to contact me. Just click here